Will GNBO(Google, MTN and EcoBank) crash web market in Nigeria?

In case you haven’t heard, there’s a web fair going on(closing on Friday) in partnership with Google, MTN and EcoBank and lot’s of web designers and developers belief that Google is here to crash the web market. Is this true?

Please let discuss this; What’s your view or opinion about GNBO.

First you have to understand Google’s motives, for a while Google’s has been having problems with gathering African contents cos it really hard to know an african site as a good majority reside on foreign servers. A few years back dey launched Google baraza in a bid to solve this prob, but the site didnt really go viral. My opinion is that the whole gnbo project is a way to encorage the use of the .com.ng domain, i mean think about it is there any beta way to stamp a site as Nigerian than giving it a .com.ng domain?

As for crashing the web market i dont really think dats their intention, google site builder has been around for a long time, site built with it are very basic static site and it most likly be used by ppl who dont have site and cant afford to get good one.

just like codegidi said, u can’t tell a Nigerian site from others and the google idea will not send designers out bcos no matter hw free it is there will still be google activities on the website. Yahoo also has a service like that but did not work here. My take on this issue is that those with good business and knows quality will still look for web designers.

I was at the programme! its very funny, one of my staff that went with me was so angry, it cant even scratch any web designer not to talk of crashing the business…

I was at the programme! its very funny, one of my staff that went with me was so angry, it cant even scratch any web designer not to talk of crashing the business…

The aim of the program is not to crash web design business but to get a near accurate directory of businesses in Nigeria.
Google also get to keep the domain name registration and renewal fees from all these businesses yearly.

To me, the idea makes the business grow faster and better in Nigeria. The advantages of this will show up with time.